These are resources for you to provide to your members to help them get the most out of My Own Church. Here are some steps for using these help resources:
- Get familiar with the online help available from the My Own Church system — help is available for both church administrators and parishioners using the system.
- Review the FAQs: My Own Church
- Customize the FAQs document with your church’s name, logo, contact information, and any other unique information.
- Create a FAQs webpage on your church website. (We suggest adding a link to your FAQs page next to the “My Own Church” button on your website.) We also recommend that you save your FAQs as a PDF document.
- Include a link to your FAQs web page (or link to the PDF if you did not create a web page) in your My Own Church email campaigns.
Note: We highly recommend creating a web page as opposed to just relying on PDFs. Your members will appreciate not having to download a file, and you can easily link to your web page from your emails instead of attaching a file.
Member Guide to My Own Church
Please check out [Your Church Name]’s new system for updating family information and providing you with records of your giving history,2 scheduling your ministries,1 and registering and viewing enrollment for Religious education.3 Using My Own Church is easy, but here are some steps to follow and things look for—just in case!
Steps for setting up your My Own Church account:
- Go to [Your Church Website] and hit the [description/location of My Own Church button]
- When you get to the sign in screen, click the “New User?” link (see image below). You’ll be prompted to request an account.
- After an administrator at [Your Church Name] approves your account, you’ll receive an email with a link to log in to My Own Church.
What You Can Do in My Own Church
- Update Family and Member Information and Set Publish Preferences
- View Pictorial Directory
- View Giving History
- Update Ministry Preferences and Availability
- View Ministry Schedule
- Register for Classes
Note: You’ll always be able to access My Own Church via the [Your Church Name] website, but you may want to bookmark the sign in page for your own convenience.
Under the My Family tab, you’ll find information about your family and each family member. Please make sure that contact information (address, emails, phone numbers, etc. are up-to-date). You can add a family member if needed.
Don’t forget to upload a family photo as well as individual member photos—these will be an added benefit for the [Your Church Name] pictorial directory!
Set your Publish preferences using the checkboxes provided to specify what general family information you wish to make visible to other [Your Church Name] families using the online pictorial directory. Publish options are available for:
- Primary Phone
- Primary Email
- Family Photo
Remember that only church families with login credentials will have access to your family information in the My Own Church pictorial directory, and individual member information is not published. My Own Church does not publish your information to the general public.
Note: Before any changes you made will take effect, they must be approved by a church administrator. So if you don’t see changes take place immediately, don’t worry—we’ll approve your changes soon!
You can view the [Your Church Name] pictorial directory by clicking the link below your main tabs. Search for a family by last name or use the letter grid to browse through families alphabetically by last name. Just as your family’s general information is published (or not published) based on the Publish preferences you set, you will see other families’ phone numbers, emails, photos, and addresses based on the Publish preferences they have set for their own records.
We hope the pictorial directory will be a great resource for you as you connect with your church family!
You can view your giving history by clicking on the Giving History button.
Notice that you can view giving history for the whole family or look at giving by member.
It’s always a good idea to double-check our records with yours. If you have questions about your giving history or think we may have made an error, please contact [Name] at [contact phone number or email].
Under the My Ministry tab, you’ll be able to set up ministry preferences and update your availability.
Set family preferences:
- Click the Minister Preferences tab, then Family Preference, then click the Edit Ministry Preferences button.
- To have all family members scheduled at the same events, check the box at the top of the window.
- To set preferences for each ministry assignment, choose an option from the Preferences lookup field. Keep Apart is useful if both you and your spouse are Eucharistic ministers and you wish to serve separately because one of you needs to remain with your children. Prefer Together is the option to select if you and your spouse wish to be scheduled to serve together.
- Save your changes.
Set individual ministry preferences:
- Click the Member Preferences tab, select the name of the family member, and click Edit.
- To prioritize positions, just click and drag a ministry assignment to the desired order. Priority is determined by ascending row order. For example, if you move “cantor” to the first row, you’ll be scheduled as a cantor first; but if you’re not scheduled as a cantor, you may be scheduled for the choir (second row) and Eucharistic minister (third row).
- If you’re available to serve during special events, check the box at the top of the window.
- Save your changes.
Set service availability dates:
- Click the Member Preferences tab, select the name of the family member, and click Schedule Exceptions (you can also schedule exceptions by Event).
- Set the Begin and End Dates.
- Click the Add Date Range button.
- If you wish to apply the exception to all family members, click the + icon to the right of the desired End Date.
Click the Schedules tab to view the ministry schedule for the logged in family member or for the entire family. The icons at the top of the screen allow you to toggle between the two sets of schedules.
Click on the Religious Education tab and then the Online Registration button. From here, the member can verify details in their family record and register for religious education classes.
1 Available if your church uses ConnectNow Ministry Scheduler.
2 Available if your church uses ConnectNow Offering.
3 Available if your church uses ConnectNow Religious Education.